With the main domestic batteries requiring replacement I decided that it would be a good opportunity to tidy up the main power distribution system which had grown by stages with items scattered around the battery areas, often in inconvenient places. Also the new batteries are shallower than the previous ones so that the already slightly dodgy and difficult to fit strong-back over them would no longer work.
Of course on a boat things are never as simple as you would like and what I estimated as a 2 day job ended up taking three and my elegantly simple wiring scheme had to be abandoned when I found that the domestic main switch would not comfortably take a single heavy duty, flexible cables to each of the terminals, let alone two. But finally it was finished and with the addition of 3 lashing points, extra wood battens, and a new shelf in the compartment, the batteries are more secure than ever.
|The re-done main battery compartment.|
The finned box top right is a Galvanic isolator
(AKA a zinc saver) to protect the boat from
Galvanic action when connected to shore power.
Below it are the shunts for the battery monitors.
Naturally I found more work to do, in this case replacing the bilge pump switch that one or more previous owners had rewired multiple times leaving it damaged and with the built in fuse bypassed, not expensive but annoying.