Monday, December 20, 2021

Propeller removal.

My home made prop removal tool, the steel pieces must be very strong, alloy is unlikely to be up to it, A couple of years ago I tried with two pieces of angled alloy to form a "U" and it buckled very quickly and did not work

Some spare threaded rod would be a good idea as its easy to damage the thread where the rod goes through the angle iron. If I were doing it again I would also look for a thicker rod.

With a minor mod it should also work as a cutlass bearing removal tool with a suitable pusher. Its a chick and egg situation but an old cutlass bearing cut in half lengthwise should work, fortunately the bearing does not need replacing so testing that will have to wait for another year.

Wood pieces are to protect the propeller blades. When really
tight a light tap on the triangular with a mallet may be helpful.
Before tightening, as it tightened I lifted it up somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment